Saturday, January 15, 2011

Real Food

Around the time this all began I was at the grocery store in the "natural foods" section browsing for items that might fit into our new diet. An employee (whom shall remain nameless) approached and asked if I needed any assistance. When I told her what I was searching for she said "What do you eat instead of sugar?" "Apples" I said.

At another small "natural food store" I visited I asked an employee if she was familiar with with any products that might fit and she directed me to the freezer where there were all sorts of frozen breads. All of them looked very tempting. Most were whole grain breads but a couple were gluten free ... they all, however, had some sort of refined sugar in them. When I explained to my "helper" that they were not an option for us she said "you know, your children need whole grains." She seemed to be under the impression that the only way to get whole grains in our diet was through bread...

This is how I decided that in order to make this do-able we were going to need to change the way we eat not just find substitutes for the old things we loved. This is not to say that we don't enjoy the occasional baked good, or gluten free pasta because we do. But, as a rule we eat beautiful, real foods and we are loving it!

No comments:

Post a Comment